Any handmade gift will make one’s day, especially your loved one. Handmade soap is not only a thoughtful gift, most importantly the process of making is fun! Here’s a guide to begin your soap-making journey. Moreover, it’s an Eco-friendly path.
Stainless steel pot, cup & ladle
Apron & gloves
500g used cooking oil
70g lye (sodium hydroxide)
10g vinegar (to remove odour) *optional
Scent oil (act as fragrance) *optional
1. Weight 165g of water into stainless steel cup.
2. Weight 70g of Lye and insert carefully into water weighted. Let it cool down to 45°C. (Be cautious that the temperature of water may increase drastically during this steps. Handle a lye with a protective gloves and eye mask is a must. Stir in a well ventilated place.)
3. Filter the oil using sieve and weight 500g of used cooking oil into another stainless steel pot and heat it to 45°C.
4. Carefully pour the lye solution into the oil and stir with a regular pace until “tracing” occur.
5. Add vinegar or scent oil if desired.
6. Pour it into the mold (any recycled mold such as yogurts cup or milk containers is also applicable).
7. Remove the soap from the mold carefully using gloves after 2 days and let it air dry.
8. The soaps are ready to use after 5 weeks.
9. Kudos! Take a photo and share with us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/greenyards2u